UBECI’s vital work is a product of collaborative efforts by local, experienced teachers, who understand the needs of the street children in Quito and design the programs, and volunteers from around the world who generously contribute their time, knowledge, energy and support. We work together to achieve our overall aim of reducing the working hours of children and providing them with development opportunities through interactive activities.
Our work ensures that every child in our program has a safe environment to develop social skills and a positive identity. The education programs cultivate their love for learning and encourage them to enrol and stay motivated, whilst our social programs educate them on hygiene, their own health and provide them with healthcare services that they lack.
UBECI follows up with the children, providing continual support throughout their schooling. We strive to break the cycle of poverty these children live in and offer them an opportunity to become self-sufficient and productive citizens of the world.
Our aims are to:
- Reduce the working hours of market and street children and allow them a childhood
- Provide academic support to children in under-served rural communities
- Teach the children academic and social skills for success as adults
- Teach the children essential nutrition and hygiene and provide them with medical care where required
- Enroll the children in primary school, secondary school and university and track their progress to ensure they realize their full potential
Our current projects focus on the needs of the children, providing equal access to activities that encourage social participation and offer education on health, values, self-esteem, trust and family.
Our first project was Academic and Social Support, launched in 2003 with the aim of helping rural children in Ecuador. The following year, we launched Play, Do, Learn to reduce the working hours of street children in Quito. Then in 2005, we launched the Summer Program & Intervention, Rescue and Education, which focus on at-risk street children.
Volunteers are essential to the success of each project. To find out how you can get involved, please visit our Get Involved page to find out more about each specific project and how you can help!